notes: I used worsted weight Red Heart yarn and an H hooky. Now I also want to let you know, so I don't have to write it in every round after the second round, the FIRST chain 2 you do NOT put TWO hdc in THIS chain two, but it DOES count as a stitch, but the next one. The first ch 2 is the last stitch of the "round increase, you will see pretty fast. Also if you don't know how to make the Magic Adjustable ring, learn it, it is the ONLY way to go with anything made in the round. Here is a link to a tutorial for. Also for the sake of NOT having to type it out, join EACH round with a slip stitch, unless I tell you different. http://www.crochetme.com/forums/t/28917.aspx
okay lets get started!
1. make adjustable magic ring and ch 1 then do 8 hdc in ring, pull TIGHT. (don't forget to join with a slip stitch, I wont be telling you again)
2. ch 2 hdc in same space and 2 hdc in each hdc around. so now you have 16 join with a slip stitch to top of ch2 (now you NEVER put two hdc in first chain 2)
3. ch2, 2hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc in next stitch, 2 hdc in next st, continue around, NOW you will end with a 2 hdc in the last stitch, that is right, 24 hdc
4.ch2, 2hdc in 1st hdc, hdc in next 2 hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc around....see the pattern we are forming? Increasing each row.
5. ch2, 2 hdc in next hdc, hdc in next 3 hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc, around, you will end up with 40 stitches
6. ch2, 2hdc in first hdc, hdc in next 4 hdc, 2hdc in next around, now you will have 48 stitches.
7. ch 2, 2hdc in next hdc, hdc in next 5 hdc's, 2 hdc in next, continue around. Now you will have 56 stitches.
BABY HAT INCREASES STOP HERE and hdc in each hdc around row 8-15 slip stitch to join. Now do the ear flap, by,
1. chain 1, slip stitch in the next 6 hdc, sc in next 14 hdc, ch 1 turn
2. decrease TWO hdc together, sc in next 10 sts decrease two hdc chain 1 turn
3. decrease first two , sc in next 8 sc's, dec last 2 together, chain 1, turn.
4.sc in each stitch around=10 sc's ch 1 turn
5.dec two tog, sc in next 6 sc's, dec last 2 sc together ch 1 turn
6. sc around=8 sc ch 1 turn
7. dec 2 together, sc in next 4, dec last two chain 1 turn
8. sc around, ch1 turn, 6 stitches
9. dec 2 together, sc in next 2, dec last two together, chain 1 turn
10. sc in each stitch around, chain one turn, 4 sc's
11. dec 2 together, sc in next 2 st, ch 1 turn
12. sc in each sc ch1 turn now you have 3
13. dec 2 together, sc in next stitch, ch1 1 turn , 2 sc's
14. dec 2 together, fasten off,
on to the next one, skip next 25 stitches, re-attach yarn in the next sc, sc in joining stitch and in the following 13 stitches, now you have 14, so go ahead and follow the ear flap as before.
now using the SAME color, attach yarn at the back of hat, and sc around fasten off.
now use your CONTRASTING COLOR, ok, again in back of hat attach yarn, hdc in each sc until you get to the bottom of the first ear flap, then chain 50, and now slip stitch your way back UP the chain and hdc in next sc, and continue to the next ear flap, same thing, chain 50, slip stitch your way back up, and hdc around then finish off, walaaaa your done!! Add a pretty flower if you want, you can find the patterns free all over the Internet! Or add something like a star for a boys hat. OK this is the BABY version friends.
to make a toddler one, continue on the increase rounds with
ch 2, 2hdc in next stitch, hdc in next 6 stitches, 2 in next one, all the way around 64 stitches. then I hdc around for 10 rows and the ear flaps Numbers will be a little different, ok, it is for all sizes so pay attention here... toddler, slip stitch in next 8 sts chain 1 turn rest is the same.easy peasy
now for a young child, say 5-12,
8. ch 2, 2 hdc in next 6 stitches, 2hdc in next, around, join
9. ch 2 , 2hdc in next stitch, hdc in next 7 hdcs, 2 in next, around, join chain one,
10. ch 2 2 hdc in next stitch, hdc in next 8 hdcs, 2 hdc in next, around. slip stitch to join
now work even hdc for the next 10 rows or so, judge by what you think is long enough.
carry on to the ear flap, the last number for this size is slip stitch in next 14 continue with the regular ear flap instructions...okay by now,, if you have made two or three of these, you got the drift of how to increase the rounds, so go ahead, try making yourself one, I bet you can!!!
that my friends is how I made that hats
now for the scarves to match, using the CONTRASTING COLOR, chain a number you feel comfortable with for the age of whom your making for, a little baby, I use 75, a 5 year old
I used 125, any older, go ahead, make it long, they wont get it caught in anything, we hope anyways. now chain your chain, hdc down the chain, switch to the MAIN color of the hat, hdc 4 rows of that color, switch back to CONTRASTING color and hdc 1 row and make sure you do 3 hdc in corner stitches for 4 corners. fasten off, add a flower to each end, or a star, or heck, whatever you want, its YOURS.
DISCLAIMER: I am SURE I am NOT the only one that has EVER made a hdc hat, or scarf, I am not CLAIMING the stitch, I am simply instructing how I myself work it. ENJOY, If I made any mistakes, or you have a problem, go ahead e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org PLEASE remember, I am NOT on the computor 24/7 but I will answer you when I get to it okay? Happy going friends!